This article outlines the key emission factors used from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) formaly UK Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
The UK BEIS Conversion Factors are for use by UK and international organisations to report on greenhouse gas emissions. The factors are published annually and allow organisations to calculate greenhouse gas emissions from a wide range of activities.
The Conversion Factors use Global Warming Potentials (GWP) factors from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) fourth assessment report. The GWP for CH4 is 25 and the GWP for N2O is 298. The BEIS Conversion Factors are available here: BEIS 2018, BEIS 2019, BEIS 2020, BEIS 2021.
Key factors used by Pathzero include:
- Stationary combustion emission factors (kg CO2-e/GJ)
- Mobile combustion emission factors (kg CO2-e/GJ)
- Water treatment emission factor (kg CO2-e/million litres)
- Waste disposal emission factors (kg CO2-e/tonnes)
- Business air travel emission factors (kg CO2-e/passenger km)
- Land travel emission factors (kg CO2-e/km)
- Accommodation emissions factors (kg CO2-e/Room per night)*
*The average emissions factor is used for all non-listed countries.